Sunday, May 3, 2009

Luke's Amber Attempt #1 - Day 1

I love Amber! So I am over the next couple of years I'm going to try and make the best amber.

Here's attempt #1:

4 gal spring water
1 7lb bag of ice, cubed
6 1/2 lbs Amber malt
1/2 lbs 60 Crystal malt, milled
1/4 lb Black Patent malt, milled
1/4 lb Chocolate malt (I think I shouldn't have done this.)
1/2 tsp Irish Moss
1 vial Pacific Ale Yeast

Boiling Hops: 2 oz Domestic, Fuggles Hop pellets
Finishing Hops: 1 oz Mt. Hood Hops (loose)

I took 3 gals (probably should have been 2 gals) of spring water & all milled malt and brought it up at med-high heat to a boil. I let it simmer for 30mins. I then added the amber malt, stirring consistently, then the Fuggles. Let it go for 10 mins. Add irish moss. Cook for 5 mins. Finally add the finishing hops, take off heat, cover and let sit for 5mins. I removed the top after 5 mins and let it sit for 20 mins. Then I put ice and the last gallon of water in the primary. I strained the wort into the primary. I'm now waiting for the temp of the brew to go below 80 degrees before adding the yeast.

Starting S.G. : 1.045

No comments: